“As a university located in our nation's capital and animated by our Catholic and Jesuit identity, we are called to support all of our students, including our undocumented students. These young women and men demonstrate an extraordinary passion to make America, and our increasingly interconnected world, a better place. Here at Georgetown, we are dedicated to creating a context where they can succeed, free from constraint or limitation.”
-John J. DeGioia, Georgetown University President
As a Catholic and Jesuit institution, Georgetown University values the dignity of all members of the university community, regardless of immigration status. We are a university in the heart of the nation's capital and believe in educating the whole person through exposure to different faiths, cultures and beliefs. An estimated 65,000 children born abroad who are not U.S. citizens or legal residents graduate from U.S. high schools each year. As we engage with the impacts of globalization and the responsibilities we have in a new global context, we must, as educators, support all of our students, including those who were born abroad.
The university is committed to supporting undocumented students and the unique challenges they may face, and has convened a working group of representatives from a variety of offices across campus:
- Campus Ministry: Father Jerry Hayes & Rabbi Rachel Gartner
- Cawley Career Education Center: Kendra Northington
- Center for Latin American Studies (CLAS): Dr. Angelo Rivero Santos
- Center for Multicultural Equity & Access: Devita Bishundat
- Center for Social Justice: Jessica Lee
- Department of Performing Arts: David Molk
- Georgetown College: Dr. Stefan Zimmers
- Georgetown Scholarship Program: Corey Stewart & Paula Kim
- Kalmanovitz Initiative for Labor and the Working Poor: Jessica Chillin
- LGBTQ Resource Center: Shiva Subbaraman
- McDonough School of Business: Laura Elena Soerenssen
- Office of Global Education: Arelis Palacios, Co-Chair
- Office of Residential Education: Angel Garcia
- Office of Student Financial Services: Kevin Mahaney, Co-Chair
- Office of Undergraduate Admissions: Jaime Briseño
- School of Foreign Service: Mini Murphy
To learn more about support for undocumented students, or if you know of students needing support, please contact the UndocuHoyas email address at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read our statement of solidarity.